Friday 18 November 2011

The Party 2011

Prepare for another bland post (with some slightly 'edited' truths) because the website forum that I was actually going to post this on wont let me cos the picture is too fat and the security question thingo is lying to me. This is just a post about how my the events of my birthday party transpired.


For my party, I wanted to do something that none of my friends had seen before, and for some reason, in Australia (where I live) practically no-one has attended or even heard of a black light dance party. This was the perfect opportunity for me. To start with this, I sent out my invitations which were neon and black and said all the party details and to wear as much fluro and bright colours as possible, but I kept it a secret about the black lights so it would be an awesome surprise for everyone when they arrived.

I looked for weeks for a place to buy black lights from, but all I could source were overly-expensive black light bulbs. Eventually I came across full length fluorescent black light tubes the exact same size as the regular white lights  have in my garage. The party planning started there. 2 days before the party I cleaned out the entire garage and scrubbed the floor, covered the walls and window with black garbage bags to block out as much light as possible, put chairs around the edges of the garage and replaced the regular lights with my black lights. For an extra touch, I blu-tacked small silver stars to the ceiling, especially around the lights which gave a great sparkly effect.

I set up a food table with a black tablecloth and lots of glowing foods and drinks like fanta, mountain dew, jelly made with tonic water, and bright coloured lollies as well as fairy-bread, a chocolate fountain with fruit and marshmallows for dipping, coke, water and chips.

For the music, I created a dance playlist on my iPod and borrowed my sister's sound system which has 4 speakers and a subwoofer. I put these up on a shelf so nothing would get damaged or tampered with during the party.

When the guests arrived, I had them wait in the house and gave them a highlighter and a heap of glowsticks each and told them to draw all over themselves whilst i turned on the lights and cranked the music up, then I let them all in and we danced, ate and sung at the top of our lungs for the entire night.











It was a pretty small and simple party, but it was awesome. It was probably the best party I have ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment